Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My First Graphic Novel

I finally broke down and read my first graphic novel. I know they are hugely popular, but I’ve never really been comfortable with the format. However, I came across Bake Sale by Sara Varon and I could not resist the overleaf of smiling cupcakes. What could be wrong with a book whose main character is not only named Cupcake but actually is a cupcake (complete with a cherry on top)! Cupcake owns a bakery (the Sweet Tooth) and plays in a band with his best friend, Eggplant, as well as Avocado, Pear, Egg and Potato (how does he find the time?). As you can surmise, the book is populated with all types of food (fresh as well as canned). Cupcake’s life struggles are realistic. He loves to bake and has big dreams, but while he works hard to fulfill them, he discovers that he misses out on the things he really enjoys. He gets tired and stressed. He has a great friendship with Eggplant and they always help each other out. The book is best described very much like the cupcakes I most enjoy – simple, yet surprisingly rich and satisfying. And, there are some wonderfully delicious-looking recipes in the back of the book – Cupcake’s specialties.


And now that I've discovered graphic novels, on to Robot Dreams (also by Sara Varon):




















Posted by Sue Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment