Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Snowmen

Snowmen are one of winter's highlights. Always a favorite of mine, they are by far the most frequent ornament on my Christmas tree. A snowman sits on top of my desk and smiles at me all year round. As I look at him, I began to wonder about the origins of these creatures. In a fit of curiosity, I went to my computer and began to search: Who made the first snowman? Where? How did the classic shape come to be? Why a carrot for a nose? and other equally significant questions. I found-----not much. However, I did come across an interesting book--The History of the Snowman by Bob Eckstein. It is not a children's book nor does our library own it, but despite these two drawbacks, we can still appreciate the delightful cover:



We do, of course, have many books about snowmen. Here are just a few:




And here's a snowman joke:

Why was the snowman's dog called Frost?
Because Frost bites.....

Posted by Sue Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment