Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bark in the Park



















In case I haven’t mentioned it before, I’m a big baseball fan. And a dog-lover, too. Just recently, I was able to combine these two passions in a very pleasant way. My husband and I were able to take Luca, our 6 year old chocolate Labrador, to his very first baseball game on Saturday, April 23rd, when the Mets hosted their 2nd Annual Bark in the Park. Luca made many new friends that day, both canine and human. He posed for a photo with Mets announcer and former pitching star Ron Darling. He participated in a Pup Rally and a dog parade all around the field. It was a thrill to see ourselves on the big screen! The Mets went on to win that day 6-4 over the Arizona Diamondbacks. While my husband and I are devout, unwavering Yankee fans, I think Luca might be partial to the Mets. After all, they graciously (and bravely) opened their doors so that some four legged fans could enjoy a day of fun:




































Citi Field is a beautiful baseball park, one of my favorites. Its style is reminiscent of the old Brooklyn Dodgers’ stadium, Ebbets Field. As I was enjoying my day there, I was thinking of all the baseball parks I have been fortunate to visit—besides Citi Field and the cathedral of baseball, Yankee Stadium, I have been to Fenway Park in Boston, Wrigley Field and U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago, Camden Yards in Baltimore, Tiger Stadium in Detroit, Anaheim Stadium and Doubleday Field at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. It's amazing how much American history is tied to its national pastime. There’s a wonderful children’s book about baseball fields: Ballpark: The Story of America' s Baseball Fields by Lynn Curlee. So when you’re not playing baseball or watching baseball at your favorite stadium, you might want to check it out:






























Posted by Sue Ann.

No comments:

Post a Comment