Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Girl's Best Friend: A Maggie Brooklyn Mystery by Leslie Margolis

In anticipation of last week's snow storm, I had brought home several books. One being Girl's Best Friend, which attracted me for 3 reasons: 1. It's a mystery (my favorite genre); 2. It's set in Brooklyn (one of my favorite boroughs) and 3. There's an adorable dog on the cover (which supersedes all the other reasons). I thoroughly enjoyed the book in which Maggie is a an enterprising 12 year old who combines a dog-walking business with solving mysteries. One of the mysteries is that dogs are disappearing all over Park Slope. She is supported by an eclectic cast of characters: her crush, Milo; her ex-BFF Ivy, her new BFF Lucy, her twin brother Finn and all her neighboors in the Park Slope brownstone where she lives with her family. Maggie is realistic, funny and likeable and the story kept the pages turning. I look forward to more titles in this series.
And finally, I would like to congratulate my little cousin Matteo who won the bookmark contest for his Kindergarten class out in Miller Place. Knowing that I would appreciate this, his mother sent me a copy of the winning entry. It's hard to read but it states: Books are Family Fun!

It is now my new favorite bookmark:








Posted by Sue Ann.

No comments:

Post a Comment