Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's true! Non-fiction is not fake.

There's always this confusion when a youngster is confronted with my question, "Do you want fiction or non-fiction?" It's baffling to little minds (and some bigger ones too).

Non-fiction is not fiction. It is a true account of a person, place, thing or event. Fiction =fake. Non-fiction= Not fake. That's how I learned to remember it as kid.

I love to read non-fiction because I like learning new things or even just learning more about something I am interested in (like history). Luckily for me we've gotten a lot of new non-fiction (not-fake) books in here in the Childrens' Room. There is the True Stories series which includes The Story Behind Oil and The Story Behind Chocolate (yum!). There's the Community Connections How Did That Get To My House series which has different volumes on mail, telephone, internet, etc.. There's the Disaster Survivor series that explains the science of weather and natural disasters (cool!). There's Slim Goodbody's Life Skills that deals with bullying and social relationships. The subjects are endless and age ranges from young readers up through middle school.

But my favorite new series is titled Amazing Decades in Photos. (Ironically the catalog doesn't show the cover art photos so here it is on the publisher's website.) These volumes start with the 1900's and proceed decade through decade to 2000's. What I like most about them is that they cover a vast amount of events in 20th century history in a clear and concise way. Bonnie and Clyde. The Dust Bowl. Comic Books. It also has tons of amazing photographs!
Visit our new book display to see more of the many exciting non-fiction (not fake) books you have yet to discover!
-Posted by Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment