Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Book's Best Friend

It’s no secret. I love dogs (and books, too!). History has shown that books and dogs often make a winning combination. Just recently, a wonderful book was published entitled Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine and a Miracle by Brian Dennis. It’s a story about the friendship between an Iraqi dog of war and an American Marine, how they were separated and how they came together again. It is powerful and moving, all the more so for taking place in the harsh circumstances of war. As I read it (through tears, I must admit), I could not help but think of my own sweet dog—a faithful friend who always, always knows how to lift my spirits and brighten my day. And so, as a tribute to him and all the beloved dogs who enrich our days and fill our lives and without whom the world would be a bleaker place, I dedicate this list of favorite dog stories (rest assured, they all have happy endings!):




Lucky Boy by Susan Boase:
A neglected dog digs his way out of an unhappy home and brings love and companionship to a lonely, elderly widower.









Riptide by Frances Ward Weller
Based on a true story of a dog who loved the beach and the ocean (despite the No Dogs Allowed signs) and who becomes an unofficial but dedicated lifeguard.







Togo by Robert J. Blake
A gripping tale based on the historic serum run of 1925 and of the brave dog who led his team through the Arctic icelands to save Alaska from an outbreak of diphtheria.




I saved my favorite for last:

Orville: A Dog Story by Haven Kimmel
From the book jacket--This is the story about a big, ugly dog named Orville, who can see into people’s hearts and smell their dreams. It’s a story about lonesomeness, about barking, about getting free from chains, and about love.



And finally, a quote from Groucho Marx:
Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.


Posted by Sue Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment